I’m a firm believer on the power of compounding and little daily wins over time, turn into huge conquered mountains. One example of this is the book I wrote. I put down ideas, an outline, concepts, quotes for a period of months. I copied and repasted my ideas, moved them around and reframe them, but I also deleted chunks of paragraphs. Yet from all the brain dumps I had over a period of nine months, a cohesive structure for my book was born. Writing a book sounds like a huge goal to achieve, yet writing a few paragraphs each day, was super manageable.
Pick Your Hard
Our life is the result of the choices we make. If we want to succeed at the level of the 1%, we have to be willing to do what the other 99% is too lazy to do. Every choice I make, brings me one step closer to my goals every day. I have a crystal clear picture of the hards Iâ€™m willing to endure to achieve the goals I dream of. My hope for you is that you decide to do the same. You have all the potential within you already, your next step is to align your non-negotiables with the hards youâ€™re going to choose going forward.
How Do Leaders Work on the Things They Don’t Feel Like Working?
Leadership is not a role one can take on lightly, I’ve said this before, but I think is worth repeating. If we want others to believe in us and to willingly follow us, we must give them something worth following. At home, we cannot ask from our spouse and children, or from our parents, something that we are not willing to give. It always boils down to self-leadership. We reap what we saw.
The Growing Pains of Learning a New Skill
When it comes to skills, it is easy to feel overwhelmed if we feel we lack what we need to move a new project forward. One of the things I love the most about coaching is that along with performance goals, because we are ultimately high performers, there are growth goals associated with them, that we need to identify and develop in parallel to make those performance goals a reality.
Let’s Discuss Physical Performance
As life gets busy with goals and projects, we tend to maximize the time we dedicate to them and more often than not, we leave certain things sitting in the back burner. I’ve personally experienced seasons at work in which between the workload and hectic business travel, I don’t pay attention to hydrating well or getting enough sleep. Sometimes my meals consist of the closest fast food restaurant Uber eats can supply or even in some occasions, just a vending machine on the go.
Hobbies + Daydreaming = Fueled Creativity
As leaders we are always creating something. We create opportunities, we create a vision, we create solutions and creativity is a requirement for high performance and dedicating time to enjoy our hobbies, allows for that creativity to flow freely.
Learning How to Get Out of Our Own Way
Doing the hard things, the ones that make us uncomfortable, will become second nature once we learn to act – leaders are first movers. Instead of overthinking and anticipating everything that could go wrong, focus on all that can go great while keeping a realistic but positive approach. Remember that self-believe comes first. How can we expect others to believe in us, if we second-guess our every move?
The Importance of Filling Up Our Cup
An analogy I love using when illustrating this point is that same as before take-off the flight attendant, during the safety briefing, explains the use of the oxygen mask in case of depressurization of the cabin, we must put our mask on first, before we can attempt to help others put on theirs.
Leading with Kindness
Kindness is like a muscle, the more we exercise it, the stronger itâ€™ll become. And as a result, we’ll become more grateful, more expectant, more intentional, and way more engaged. Itâ€™s easy to criticize others and to allow our self-righteousness to boost our ego and pat us in the back, but the truth is, nobody has it absolutely right. We all make mistakes, we all struggle, and we all have a long way to go when it comes to growth. Yet with kindness and compassion to self and to others, the load will always become lighter and more manageable.
EQ and Emotional Blindspots
Emotions can sometimes feel overwhelming and diminish our ability to lead effectively. Some emotions can be easily monitored and managed; while others, may require a deeper commitment or even outside support, in the form of counseling. Yet, creating elf-awareness and the necessary emotional regulation to deal with our emotions in a way that is conductive is a key skill in leadership.